Sunday, June 12, 2011

Practice and Experience

The most valuable information I have obtained from this course is forced depth of field. I found it very useful throughout the rest of the course. I enjoyed the online lectures where Dr. Johnstone was able to show us step by step on the computer with her voice. I have had other online courses that only used a book and blackboard and they were not nearly as informative as this class has been. I took the course hoping to continue practicing with photoshopp during the summer and to learn more about the shelter and its practices. By continuing to practice in photoshopp over the summer I hope that it will help me out in the long run with my future classes. I have become quicker with my tools and navigation of the program. Knowing what size photos are appropriate for the web will help me in the future as I continue to modify and build my fathers website for his own business.
By having other students post to my blogs I have taken healthy criticism and tried to apply it with each new portrait. Ive enjoyed going into the shelter these last couple weeks to see many of our animals adopted and their pictures improved! I do wish I would of had more time to spend at the shelter. However, I am glad I was able to take the course this summer it has been a great experience.
Melinda; with information and the extra practiced I have dodged Melinda's eyes and burned the pupils. Then going back in I brought back out her catch lights. Before her pupils had too much reflection from the camera that they seemed gray or blurry so by darkening them a little I feel like it makes her beautiful two tone irises really pop! Also, I burned around her neck in certain places so that her head would not blend into her body so much.     

4 comments:

  1. I really like your picture of Melinda. I loved her different colored eyes the moment I saw her and you've really capture the contrast of them against her white fur quite well. I can tell the dodging and burning adds a lot more emphasis as well. The only area of improvement might be that overall it looks a little yellow which makes her yellow eye appear more yellow than it should be. Otherwise it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to comment as soon as I saw this picture because the cat's picture "wow'd" me. Everything about the picture is great from the cropping to the cats expression to the white on white. The cat's eyes are so beautiful and the simple picture aids to eyes. The eyes look nice since you dodged them and the black really pops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Allycat: I do agree I should of done a little more color correcting on the overall photo.
    @Peyton: Thank you so much I was surprised to see two solid white cats this week with two different colored eyes! Id never seen anything like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly, I am so glad you got so much out of this course. It makes me really happy. Your explanation of what you did with Melinda is fabulous. Good corrections too. I am going to echo Allison's comment about the overall yellow cast, but otherwise stellar work!

    ReplyDelete